Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A hell of a way to make your fortune...

Jesus, where the hell has "Deadwood" been my whole life? I pretty much watched the entire first season in about 3 days, and I'm catching up with the new episodes. HBO, you've done it again!

Getting into specifics, while I may be a fan of your general "western" (see Clint Eastwood or other Hollywood films) fare, the biggest issue I have with them is the GLARING lack of any semblence of historical realism. And thus, Deadwood shines. The language, clothing, and even look of the (I guess it's fictional) town in the Black Hills of South Dakota is spot on. I also love the fact that they coincide the events of 1876 South Dakota with real events such as the annexation of the Lawrence Territory as well as the treaties with the Sioux Indians. It just brings out the history nerd in me, I suppose.

I also think the characters are extremely captivating and three-dimensional, and the writers aren't afraid to kill off a major character in order to facilitate a plot twist or whatever. Notice Wild Bill Hickock, a major character in the first 5 or so episodes, getting his head blown off. Or the murder of the rich Yankee Brom Garret in order to acquire his gold claim. Genius.

Now if only I could find out when the hell that show is regularly on HBO...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unspar! said...

The town's real, actually. I've been there. Part of the South Dakota "Twin Cities" of Deadwood and Lead.

Also, Wild Bill's death was a real historical event. They re-enact it a few times daily in whatever bar it was he was killed.

7:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home