Thursday, December 08, 2005

life in a bubble.

I've come to the realization that I likely won't be a rich man one day.

At the moment looking for internships in Hollywood and NYC in film work. I hate the micro-processed garbage that we continually get on a regular basis from the Left coast, but it's where the money is. I've also got this history degree lying around and gathering dust, so maybe I'll teach for awhile to earn some money.

This week, I completed another film, entitled "Bastard", starring my cousin, Jake Cleary. Seemed to go over well in the class, the instructor really seemed to like the images I chose. What the whole film revolves around is the child (Jake) hears his parents having sex in the adjoining room, upon seeing (and hearing them), the child leaves the room, only to reveal a hearing aid that he is wearing. In frustration, he tears it off. It's about the dysfunction of experience and memory, as well as the operational manner of our senses; our desire to see/hear/feel certain things that we have the option to see/hear/feel. And why the decision we make on this matter defines our whole existence.

It's amazing how much I've grown as a filmmaker this semester. In comparing the two films I did last spring: "The Equesterian Ego of Matt Wilson" and my "Tailgating" documentary, I can see the growth in not only my editing, but in the very way I framed the images. Seeming to lose the lack of seriousness in the films also helped too, I've become more more inclined to do work that is going to be taken more seriously, well at least by the UWM-film people. Looking at a film I did a film earlier this semester, in which I handpainted clear leader in different shapes (a la Stan Brakhage) and organized the shapes, animation and movement into a verse/chorus/verse structure, it's the kind of idea I probably couldn't have even fathomed last spring.

So where's the old career going? Who the hell knows, but that's the fun part of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home