Monday, January 07, 2008

Tornados...


...who likes 'em? They're loud, noisy, intrusive, and generally more destructive than an uninvited guest.

But tornadoes in January? Had one today. There's something wrong about it being about 15 degrees with 2o inches of snow one week. Then five days later, we're sitting in 55 degree weather and under siege from a wayward militia of tornadoes.

I can't help feeling that life is a lot like a tornado. Really, we're at the center of it, so we're more or less in the "eye" of it. I.(eye)e. we lack perspective about what's going on around us as everything is really spinning around and revolving around us. And what a destructive path we create, yeah?

I'm just rambling really, but I wanted to renew this blogging post, because now things are starting to gain steam in my life. Finally got a job, after coming off the bench at Best Buy for a few weeks, and got me some benefits. No one has explained what these 'benefits' really are, but I can only imagine they involve usage of the executive washroom and/or handjobs. But yeah, I've blown (another tornado reference, in case you missed the earlier paragraph as I write this in real-time) through another phase of life, and now I find myself face-to-face with the working world. What exactly will go down, I don't really know. I'm kind of in a weird place, really. Had a plan on what I wanted to do with my life, but when I found out it's, uh, a little hard to do the job I wanted to, I was stuck scrambling like so many quarterbacks in Tecmo Super Bowl before they were flattened into a pixellated mess.

It's a tough thing to wrap your mind around, when you consider that really, your entire childhood, high-school, and college years are behind you. When you're a kid, you sort of live in this little mindset of everything that you see/experience as a youngster is really what you form everything else that happens in your life around. You're in high school, and you think man, this is NOW, as if everything that you've ever done has led up to this point. You dreamed about high school, saw it in countless episodes of Full House and Saved by the Bell and couldn't wait for the 6 years of prom dances, and 8 years of Urkel. ('cos we all know that in TV people age just a little bit better, just look at Zach Morris and his 5 years of freshmen years)

Doesn't really work that way, I guess. But it's weird how what seemed to important at one point, what seemed to be the only thing that was of any significance, which was being in high school or middle school or college, now is just another notch on your lifespan, just like when you were in kindergarten or first grade, or at one of Polley's famous sleepovers.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wait, so you got a job in Milwaukee? Congrats! What kind of job is it?

10:56 AM  
Blogger chris said...

haha my sleepovers are famous??? AWESOME.

and i echo qualler's sentiments, what's this job you referred to ever so briefly? details!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Andrew said...

It's just a part time job for the meantime, it pays pretty decent, but I'm still looking for a good job. At the very least, this job will pay for me to get a masters degree.

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home